Wednesday, April 20, 2011

aphorism

i was an atheist for a period
when i was younger
it was more black & white then
there simply was no god
i was pretty convinced
then i heard a line in a film
that resonated within me
there are no atheists in fox holes
even with a memory
you wouldn't entrust a locker combo to
that line has always stuck with me
it helped shape the agnostic views
i carry around with me today
i hadn't prayed since i was a child
but we know and love someone
who's recently been dealt
one of life's fucked up curve balls
and it breaks our hearts
to learn that she is going through this
religion is very important to you
perhaps you've even prayed for me once or twice?
so i figured that it was a worthy cause
to try and say a prayer for our loved one
it certainly could not have hurt anyone
and so last night
for the first time since i was a child
i knelt beside my bed
closed my eyes
clasped my hands
and bowed my head
i kept an open mind and gave it my very best for her
what i said stays between myself and a god that may or may not exist

No comments:

Post a Comment